Tuesday, March 31, 2009

City Library Street Press workshop with Geoff Lemon 8th April

From the Man himself....

"As a writer myself, I can tell them about writing techniques and tricks, or I can focus on how to manage yourself professionally as a writer - that is, how to get you work out there, how to approach publishers and publication opportunities, and so on. I've published poetry, short stories, and articles, so I've encountered a range of different types of publication. And I brought my first book out last year, so that could also be a useful discussion.

I can also tell them about publishing from the other side of the fence, given that I have several years of experience working as a magazine editor and particularly as a poetry editor. This could cover both the mechanics of how to approach editing someone else's work, and the broader stuff of how to manage a publication financially and administratively - so, distribution, advertising, marketing, sales, grants, etc.

Then as a performer I've done a lot of work, including some pretty big venues supporting bands and so on, and I've won various competitions. So I could give advice on how to write for performance, on how to approach performance, and how to prepare for competition. And I've worked for a couple of years as a gig convenor, so again, I could talk about the administrative, promotional, and organisational aspects of running performances."

Visit www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/libraries or call (03)96589500 for more details and to confirm a space.

citylibrarystreetpress.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Leigh Russell said...

Help needed!
Due to a glitch in amazon.uk's system, I seem to have written the only crime thriller in the UK that doesn't appear on amazon.co.uk All my publisher's other titles are listed and my book can be ordered from all other online suppliers, including amazon.com. There is no reason to exclude my title and Amazon.uk refuse to explain themselves.
I'm an insignificant individual, powerless to influence this huge organisation, but their indifference has incensed me. I'm attempting to battle amazon.uk's monopoly in the UK by asking readers around the world to order my inexpensive paperback from other suppliers. If you would be kind enough to consider supporting my one-woman-campaign against a faceless corporation, please check out my blog for details of Cut Short by Leigh Russell.